When carrot cake meets banana bread…
Let’s be honest, who wouldn’t want a cake for breakfast? We all probably would, but no one likes the extra calories, the bloated belly and the guilt feeling afterwards.
What if I tell you that I have a super soft and sweet but healthy Banana Bread Carrot Cake for you to indulge yourselves in!
It is perfect for breakfast, especially when it is topped with a yummy, creamy, coconut butter dazzle. Literally, love at first bite.
For this yummy and healthy dessert I decided to use gluten free, all purpose flour, and coconut sugar instead of honey. The bananas are perfect in this recipe because they actually make it sweet, so you don’t have to add extra sugar. On top of that you have the carrots that also give the bread cake additional sweetness and moisture.
If you are a banana bread lover (and a carrot cake fan), you must try this recipe! What makes this perfect combination even more special is the coconut butter frosting. Oh, my! Sweetened coconut butter with a little bit of maple syrup and lemon juice.
I added chopped pecans because I love their buttery taste and the fact that they are packed with protein, fiber and healthy fats! On top of that they also look pretty on the bread. Don’t you think?
But if you don’t have pecans, or you are not a fan, then there are plenty of options you could try, such as: walnuts, shredded coconut and fruits. Go extra if you want to! That’s what I always love to do!
Banana Bread Carrot Cake
- 2 cups Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour
- 1/2 cup Gluten Free Organic Quick Cooking Rolled Oats
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (baking soda)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, plus more for garnish
Coconut Butter Glaze:
- 3 tablespoons coconut butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 175C/350F degrees and grease the loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, mashed bananas, almond milk, vanilla and coconut oil. In a smaller bowl, combine the flour, oats, cornstarch, salt, sugar and spices. Stir the dry mixture into the wet until fully combined, but don’t over-mix.
- Add in shredded carrots and pecan. Mix until combined.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool.
for the coconut butter glaze
- Melt the coconut butter.
- Stir in the maple syrup and lemon juice, then drizzle over the top of the cooled loaf.
I am excited to see how you will make this!