While for the rest of the world, the January blues has already started, for us Orthodox Christians, the festive days are still going on.
Nothing says Merry Christmas quite like the smell of a homemade batch of cookies fresh from the oven.
Some of my best holiday memories spent with my family involve a lot of food and cookies – eating and baking them.
I don’t know what your holiday traditions involve but I’m sure that these Christmas cookies will help you have good festive time without being afraid of adding some more kilograms.
These gingerbread cookies have the specific gingerbread flavor that comes from two main ingredients: ground ginger and molasses. Because I couldn’t find molasses here in Macedonia. I substituted 1 cup of molasses with 3/4 cup of dark brown sugar to retain the molasses flavor.
In addition to the brown sugar I sweetened these cookies with one of my favorite ingredients: maple syrup.
For the cookies:
- 165g buckwheat flour
- ¾ tsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
for the icing (optional)
- Dry soy milk powder
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 2 cups stevia
- Preheat oven to 175c/ 375f deg. Line a cookie sheet with baking paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cornstarch, salt, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg until well blended.
- With a mixer, beat softened coconut oil, brown sugar, vanilla and egg on medium speed until almost whipped.
- Stir in dry ingredients until smooth.
- Place the dough between two large sheets of plastic wrap! Doing it this way, you don’t need to flour your work surface.
- Roll it until you make it thick enough for cookies.
- Cut out cookies with your favorite gingerbread cookie cutter and place cookies on baking tray.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes.
- Remove cookie sheet from oven and allow the cookies to cool down.
- Decorate your cookies with icing.
Stevia Icing (optional)
Blend cornstarch and stevia together until you achieve that powdered sugar consistency. In a mixing bowl, combine together the powdered stevia sugar, water, vanilla and the milk powder. Beat this until you get a creamy consistency.
Merry Orthodox Christmas!